Truck accidents can have devastating impacts on the roads of Kansas City. The immense size and weight of trucks can cause catastrophic injuries or fatalities when involved in a collision with a passenger-sized vehicle. A sudden collision can overturn lives, leaving victims to grapple with medical bills, loss of income, and emotional trauma. At such a harrowing time, having a skilled Kansas City truck accident attorney by your side can be a beacon of hope.
The Kansas City personal injury attorneys at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe are dedicated to assisting victims of truck accidents in navigating the murky waters of truck accident claims, ensuring they receive the rightful compensation they need to cover their medical expenses, lost wages, and other related costs. Our experience has resulted in more than half a billion dollars in settlements for our clients and their families injured or killed in truck accidents. Call us today at (818) 876-2600 for a free consultation.
Why Choose Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe?
Trucking accidents can be devastating, often resulting in serious injury or significant financial burdens. At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, our trucking accident attorneys in Kansas City can fight for the compensation that you need to overcome these challenges. Contact us at (877) 816-2600 to connect with a trucking accident lawyer in Kansas City and take your first steps toward justice.
- Experience Handling Truck Accident Laws: Our Kansas City personal injury lawyers are well-versed in the federal and state laws governing truck accidents. Their profound understanding of legal procedures ensures a well-structured representation of your case.
- Personalized Attention to Each Case: We believe every case is unique and deserves personalized attention. Our Kansas City personal injury attorneys take the time to understand the specifics of your case so that we can build a tailored legal strategy to meet your needs.
- Proven Track Record of Success: Our law firm boasts a high success rate in truck accident cases, reflecting our commitment to securing justice and compensation for our clients.
- Extensive Trial Experience: We use our extensive trial experience and knowledge to vigorously represent victims of every type of truck accident, regardless of cause. Courtroom presentation and advocacy can greatly enhance your case in the courtroom. Our firm collectively has tried over 300 jury trials. Our truck accident attorneys employ the latest technology to make the greatest impact and ensure accidents and injuries are clear with visual aids including video re-creations, medical illustrations, and persuasive demonstrative exhibits.
We Offer a Free Consultation
We extend a free initial consultation to discuss your case in detail and explore the legal avenues available to you. This consultation allows us to understand your situation better and provide a clear roadmap for the legal journey ahead.
How We Can Help
- Gathering Evidence: A robust collection of evidence is crucial for a successful truck claim. Our personal injury lawyers in Kansas City will work diligently to gather all necessary documentation, eyewitness accounts, and expert testimonials.
- Identifying Source of Recovery. We know where to look and who can be liable to maximize your financial compensation.
- Negotiating with the Liable Insurance Companies: Insurance companies often attempt to minimize the compensation they pay out. Our truck accident attorneys in Kansas City possess the negotiation skills to ensure you receive a fair settlement.
- Representing You in Court: If a fair settlement is not achievable through negotiations, our Kansas City truck accident attorneys will be prepared to represent you in court and will fight tirelessly for your rightful compensation.
The Nation’s Leading Truck Accident Attorneys
Our truck accident attorneys have litigated truck accidents in 33 of the 50 states and have handled more trucking cases than any other firm in the country. Five of our partners, including all of our founders, specialize in truck accident litigation. Truck accidents are not your typical car accidents. There are complex federal regulations, qualification standards, and hidden relationships that only specialized truck accident attorneys know and understand to maximize your compensation. That’s why it is imperative to have the truck accident attorneys at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe on your side.
We have built a nationwide reputation for being the best because we know the patterns that lead to semi-truck crashes, what rules and regulations the drivers should have been following, and what the companies are willing to do to make this crash disappear from their safety records. Having represented thousands of truck accident victims and their families, our experience enables us to identify the likely cause of a crash and work quickly to gather and preserve evidence before it’s damaged or lost. We employ the most credible experts from around the country to confirm the cause of every accident and to hold negligent companies accountable.
“It’s really important that we not only do a great job, but that we do it the right way. Even opposing attorneys respect us for that. I learned early on as a truck accident attorney that there is no better evidence than the truth, but you have to know how to find and present it” – Partner Tim Becker
While financial compensation is a critical element of litigation, equally important is making sure that what happened to our clients does not happen to someone else. Being there during the worst moments of someone’s life has emboldened us to enact legislative changes and reform trucking company policies to ensure safer roadways. Due to our breadth and depth of experience, we have been called upon to advocate for victims’ rights before the United States Congress. We hold board positions in national organizations such as the Trucking Litigation Group for the American Association for Justice. We are involved in organizations like the Truck Safety Coalition, a partnership between the Citizens for Reliable and Safe Highways and Parents Against Tired Truckers.
Why do we get involved? We want to put an end to truck crash injury and deaths. Our truck accident attorneys have successfully required the largest truck firms in the nation to make significant safety changes, and have promoted numerous important safety changes to local, state, and national laws. As one of the nation’s premier truck accident injury law firms, we never settle for less than full justice for our clients. We will take your case to trial if necessary to get you what you rightfully deserve. Outside of the courtroom, we become a counselor, a friend, a person you know you can count on to get you through your darkest day.
“They went above and beyond to be sure we were getting the best possible result.”
“Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe were wonderful. They went above and beyond to be sure we were getting the best possible result. Mr. Becker checked in on us often and always went over everything to be sure we completely understood what was going on.”
Successful Case Results
The Kansas City truck accident attorneys at Dollar, Burns, Becker, and Hershewe have years of experience successfully handling a variety of auto accident cases. Our team of personal injury lawyers have received large settlements and recovered compensation for clients who have suffered from severe truck accident injuries. Some notable case results include:
- $40.8 Million Settlement: In a fatal collision on the Ohio Turnpike, resulting in the death of the driving mother and serious injuries to her two minor passengers, plaintiffs alleged negligence against Estes Express Lines trucking company and driver, leading to a $40.8 million settlement after extensive informal discovery and mediation sessions.
- $39 Million Settlement: The Vasquez/Perales family of El Paso, Texas, was awarded over $39 million by a Dallas County jury for deaths and injuries resulting from collisions involving tractor-trailers on I-40 in 2013, with Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe representing them against Sarah Gregory and New Prime Trucking.
- $37.5 Million Settlement: Steve Holdeman was awarded $37.5 million by a Jackson County jury for injuries sustained in a crash caused by Philip Stratman on I-435, with Holdeman represented by Dollar, Burns & Becker attorneys.
- $35.9 Million Settlement: Client’s decedent was killed when her vehicle was struck by a tractor-trailer which crossed the center line. The claims were against the trucking company and its truck driver.
Kansas City Truck Accident Resources
Understanding Truck Accident Claims in Kansas City
The legal framework surrounding trucking accidents is a blend of federal and state laws. On a federal level, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) oversees stringent regulations that govern the operation of commercial motor vehicles, including hours of service, maintenance standards, and driver qualifications. These regulations are designed to ensure the safety and well-being of both truck drivers and the public.
On the state level, each state, including Missouri, has its own set of laws governing truck operations. These laws cover aspects like insurance requirements, vehicle inspections, and liability in case of an accident. The interplay between federal and state laws can significantly impact the outcome of a truck accident case.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
A truck accident can occur due to a myriad of reasons, often a combination of human error, mechanical failures, and external factors. There are many knowledgeable Kansas City car accident lawyers that understand the complications of a truck accident. Understanding the common causes of truck accidents is not only critical for prevention but also crucial for legal recourse when an accident does occur.
Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours on the road, coupled with tight schedules, often lead to driver fatigue, a significant cause of truck accidents.
- Distracted Driving: In the era of constant connectivity, distractions due to cell phones, GPS devices, and other in-cab gadgets are a growing concern.
- Mechanical Failures: Trucks are complex machines requiring regular maintenance to function safely.
- Speeding and Reckless Driving: The pressure to meet delivery deadlines can push drivers to speed or drive recklessly.
- Improper Loading: Trucks carrying imbalanced or overweight loads are at a higher risk of rollovers, jackknifes, or losing control.
- Inadequate Training: Driving a commercial truck requires a different skill set compared to operating a passenger vehicle.
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse: Although stringent regulations exist against driving under the influence in Kansas City, instances of alcohol and drug abuse among truck drivers continue to be a concern, posing significant risks on the road.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Due to their size and weight, trucks are more susceptible to accidents in adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice.
Each of these causes brings in a unique set of legal considerations under state and federal law. For instance, if an accident occurs due to driver fatigue, evidence of the driver’s hours of service, and adherence to FMCSA regulations become critical. Similarly, accidents due to mechanical failures can lead to scrutiny of maintenance records and manufacturer liabilities.
Determining Liability in a Kansas City Truck Accident
When a truck accident occurs, identifying the liable parties is a critical step toward securing compensation for the victims. The liability can fall on various parties including the truck driver, the trucking company, the broker and shipper of the goods, the manufacturer of the truck, or even the entity responsible for the truck’s maintenance. Each of these parties has a duty of care, and any breach of this duty can be grounds for a lawsuit.
- Truck Driver: If the truck driver was negligent, under the influence, or violated FMCSA regulations, they could be held liable.
- Trucking Company: Often, the trucking companies are held accountable for the actions of their drivers. Moreover, if it is found that the company skirted federal or state regulations, like forcing drivers to work beyond the legal hours or ignoring maintenance and qualification protocols, they could face additional legal liability.
- Broker & Shipper: If a broker or shipper of the goods being hauled at the time of the accident knew or should have known that the trucking company and truck driver were unsafe and unqualified to drive, they could face liability for negligently selecting that trucking company or driver, as well as vicarious liability under certain state and federal laws.
- Manufacturers and Maintenance Entities: If a mechanical failure caused the accident, the manufacturer or the maintenance entity could be held responsible, provided it is proven that the failure was due to their negligence or a defective product.
Recovering Compensation After a Devastating Truck Accident
The interplay of federal and Missouri state trucking laws provides a legal foundation to build a strong case for compensation. By thoroughly investigating the accident, gathering evidence, and applying the relevant laws, a skilled Kansas City personal injury attorney can craft a compelling case to hold the responsible parties accountable. This legal journey aims to secure compensation to cover medical expenses, loss of income, pain, and suffering, among other damages incurred by the victims.
Through a detailed understanding of the legal landscape and a meticulous approach to case preparation, our law firm aims to ensure that justice is served, and the victims are duly compensated for their losses. Our experienced Kansas City truck accident attorneys are adept at navigating the complex legal terrain, fighting to hold the responsible parties accountable, and helping our clients move forward after a devastating truck accident.
Contact a Kansas City Trucking Accident Attorney at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe Today
Your journey toward justice and compensation after a devastating truck accident begins with a simple call. Reach out to a Kansas City truck accident lawyer at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe today, and let us take the first step towards securing your rightful compensation together.