A car accident can be a jarring experience that can leave you with lasting physical, emotional, and financial scars. Making things worse, the path to justice and compensation after a car accident is often laden with complex legal hurdles. That is where an experienced Kansas City car accident lawyer can step in to guide you through each legal turn and fight tirelessly for the justice you deserve. Contact the Kansas City personal injury attorneys from Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe today for a free consultation by calling (818) 876-2600.
Why Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, L.C.?
At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, we are staunch advocates for car accident victims. We amplify your voice, ensuring your story is heard, and your rights are protected. Our mission goes beyond mere representation; it is about seeking justice and restoring balance.
With a legacy of more than a century, our legal prowess has led to the recovery of over a billion dollars for our clients.
We Are Your Trusted Legal Partner
Our accolades, including America’s Top 100, Super Lawyers, and U.S. News Best Law Firms, are a testament to our unwavering commitment to our clients and the broader cause of justice.
We Fight for You
We are not just your legal representatives; we are your dedicated partners in your fight for justice and compensation. Our approach is strategic, exploring all avenues of liability to demand accountability and secure the maximum compensation for you and your loved ones.
Successful Case Results
The Kansas City car accident attorneys at Dollar, Burns, Becker, and Hershewe have years of experience successfully handling a variety of auto accident cases. Our team of personal injury lawyers have received large settlements and recovered compensation for clients who have suffered from severe car accident injuries. Some notable case results include:
- $186 Million Motor Vehicle Settlement: Details disclosed
- $50 Million Motor Vehicle Settlement: Details disclosed
- $39 Million Settlement: A product liability case involving a child wrongful death claim and other personal injuries settled for $39 million.
- $36.3 Million Settlement: Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe recovered a $36.3 million verdict for Anthony Jones and Lester Pruett against Liquid Asphalt for negligent design and manufacturing of a storage tank, with an initial settlement of $7.2 million with Rand Construction.
- $18 Million Settlement: Defendant Deffenbaugh Industries’ landfill employee operated a defective trash compactor, causing injury to Plaintiff Wixom during a “pull-off” procedure, leading to allegations of negligence and improper machinery use.
“Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe were wonderful.”
“Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe were wonderful. They went above and beyond to be sure we were getting the best possible result. Mr. Becker checked in on us often and always went over everything to be sure we completely understood what was going on.”
Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer Resources
A car accident in Kansas City can arise from a multitude of causes, each bringing its own set of legal considerations. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Kansas City include:
- Distracted Driving: Whether it is texting, adjusting the radio, or any other distraction, a momentary lapse in attention can lead to a severe car accident.
- Speeding: Exceeding the speed limit or driving too fast for the prevailing conditions is a common cause of car accidents.
- Drunk Driving: Alcohol impairs a driver’s judgment and reaction times, often resulting in catastrophic accidents. Contact a Kansas City drunk driving accident lawyer if you were involved in an accident.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive maneuvers on the road, tailgating, and disregarding traffic signs are examples of reckless driving that endanger lives.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, ice, and fog can make driving hazardous, especially when drivers fail to adjust their driving behavior accordingly.
Understanding the underlying cause of a car accident is pivotal as it forms the foundation of your legal claim.
The Consequences of a Car Accident
The consequences of a car accident can be profound and far-reaching, impacting victims and their families on multiple fronts. Here are some of the challenges victims often encounter after being involved in a car accident:
- Physical Injuries: The most immediate consequence is the physical harm suffered. Car accident injuries can range from minor bruises and fractures to severe conditions like traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord damage.
- Medical Expenses: The costs of medical care can skyrocket, especially when long-term or specialized treatment is required. This financial burden can be overwhelming for victims and their families.
- Loss of Income: Many car accident victims find themselves unable to work either temporarily or permanently, leading to a significant loss of income and financial instability.
- Emotional Trauma: After being involved in a car accident, the psychological impact can be debilitating, with car accident victims often experiencing stress, anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Strained Relationship: Relationships with family, friends, and spouses may be strained due to the emotional and financial turmoil ensuing from the accident.
- Legal Complexities: Navigating the legal process to seek compensation after a car accident adds another layer of stress, underscoring the importance of having a knowledgeable Kansas City car accident lawyer, who can relieve some of the burden so that you can focus on healing and putting your life back together.
Our personal injury law firm is dedicated to alleviating these burdens for by providing robust legal representation, aiming to secure comprehensive compensation that addresses the multidimensional impact of the accident on our clients’ lives.
Common Types of Car Accident Cases in Kansas City
Motor vehicle collisions in Kansas City come in various forms, each with its unique circumstances and legal implications. The type of accident that you are involved in can influence who was likely responsible and your options for compensation following the collision. A Kansas City car accident attorney at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe can conduct an in-depth investigation into your accident and determine the facts.
Here’s a closer look at the different types of car accidents:
- Rear-End Collisions: These occur when one vehicle hits the back of another. Often a result of distracted driving or sudden stops, rear-end collisions can lead to whiplash and other neck injuries.
- T-Bone Accidents: These happen when the side of one vehicle is hit by the front or rear of another, typically at intersections. T-bone accidents often result from failing to yield, running red lights, or stop signs and can result in severe injuries due to the limited protection on the sides of vehicles.
- Rollover Accidents: Characterized by a vehicle flipping over onto its side or roof, rollovers are particularly dangerous. Speeding, sharp turns, and collisions can lead to these accidents, posing a high risk of fatality and serious injury.
- Head-On Collisions: When two vehicles collide front-to-front, the outcome can be devastating. Often caused by wrong-way driving or drifting into an opposing lane, head-on collisions have a high potential for severe injuries and death.
- Multi-Vehicle Pile-Ups: These accidents involve three or more vehicles and can occur on busy highways or during adverse weather conditions. Determining liability can be complex due to the multiple parties involved.
- Single-Vehicle Accidents: These incidents involve only one vehicle and can occur due to various reasons such as driver fatigue, intoxication, loss of control due to weather conditions, or avoiding collision with another vehicle or object.
- Side-Impact Collisions: Similar to T-bone accidents but may involve sideswiping where the side of one vehicle is scraped by another. These accidents often occur when drivers fail to check their blind spots or misjudge the distance of an approaching vehicle while changing lanes.
- Chain Reaction Crashes: This is a special type of multi-vehicle pile-up where the initial collision triggers a series of subsequent crashes. Chain reaction crashes can be particularly chaotic and challenging for investigators to determine the sequence of events and assign liability.
- Pedestrian and Cyclist Accidents: Vehicles colliding with pedestrians or cyclists can lead to severe injuries or fatalities. These accidents often occur at crosswalks, intersections, or when a vehicle veers onto the sidewalk.
- Hit and Run Accidents: These incidents occur where one party flees the scene without providing contact information or offering aid to the injured. These cases pose additional legal challenges in identifying and holding the responsible party accountable.
Understanding Car Accident Claims in Kansas City
The laws governing car accident claims in Kansas City are structured to ensure justice and compensation for the victims. Here are the key elements of this legal framework:
- The Statute of Limitations: In Missouri, the law allows accident victims five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim.
- Comparative Negligence: The state follows a pure comparative negligence rule, meaning if you were partly at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced by your percentage of fault, but not barred completely.
- Insurance Claims: Missouri operates under an at-fault insurance system where the at-fault driver’s insurance is primary in covering the damages resulting from the accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Drivers have the option to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to protect themselves if involved in an accident with a driver lacking adequate insurance.
The complexity of the legal framework governing car accidents in Kansas City necessitates having a skilled Kansas City car accident lawyer to assist you with navigating the legal process to recover compensation for your damages.
Depending on the cause of the car accident, multiple parties could be potentially liable for your injuries. Negligent driving is the most common cause of car accidents, and motorists are usually the liable party in these cases. They can be held responsible for acts such as distracted driving, speeding, or driving under the influence.
Beyond drivers, the following parties could be at fault:
- Employers of Commercial Vehicles: If a commercial vehicle is involved in the accident, the employer can be held responsible, especially if the accident was due to inadequate training or violation of safety regulations.
- Vehicle Manufacturers: Defective vehicle parts, such as brakes, tires, and steering systems, can lead to accidents. In these cases, the manufacturer of the vehicle or the specific part can be held liable under product liability laws.
- Government Entities: Poorly maintained roads, unclear signage, or malfunctioning traffic signals can contribute to car accidents. In these situations, government entities responsible for maintaining these roads can be held liable.
- Construction Companies: If a car accident occurs in or near a construction zone due to improper signage, poorly managed traffic flow, or hazards left in the roadway, construction companies overseeing the project may be held responsible for any resulting damages or injuries.
Compensation Available After a Car Accident in Kansas City
The repercussions of a car accident extend beyond the immediate. Victims may find themselves facing a barrage of medical bills, loss of income, and emotional distress. Here are some examples of the types of damages that can be recovered through a car accident claim in Kansas City:
- Medical Expenses: This includes hospital bills, doctor visits, physical therapy, medication, and any other healthcare costs incurred due to the accident.
- Lost Wages: If the accident hampers your ability to work, either temporarily or permanently, you can seek compensation for lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: The physical pain and emotional distress endured as a result of the accident.
- Property Damage: Compensation for repairs or replacement of your vehicle and other damaged property.
- Loss of Consortium: Compensation for the adverse effects the accident has had on your relationship with your spouse.
At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, we will meticulously assess your damages to fight for you to receive the possible compensation.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Kansas City
In the aftermath of a car accident in Kansas City, knowing the right steps to take can significantly influence the outcome of any potential claims and ensure your well-being. Take the following steps to protect your health and preserve evidence for your future claim:
- Check for Injuries: Right after the accident, take a moment to evaluate both your condition and that of any passengers or other individuals involved. If anyone has suffered an injury, regardless of how minor it may seem, call 911 to get medical assistance on the scene.
- Move to Safety: If it’s feasible and doesn’t compromise your safety or that of others, try to move your vehicle to a nearby safe spot away from the flow of traffic. This helps prevent any further accidents and ensures safety for you and other road users. Don’t forget to activate your vehicle’s hazard lights to alert other drivers to your presence.
- Report the Accident: Notify the police of the accident as soon as possible. The officers will document the scene and create a police report. This document plays a pivotal role when you file insurance claims or if there are any legal inquiries; it serves as an official record of what happened and can be invaluable in proving your case.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine, it’s wise to get a complete medical evaluation as soon as possible. Certain injuries, especially those related to the neck, back, or internal organs, might not show any symptoms. A comprehensive check-up can prevent dangerous complications and establishes a medical record linked to the accident.
- Exchange Information: Speak with the other driver to exchange crucial details like contact, vehicle, and insurance information. However, steer clear of admitting fault or extensively discussing the accident details, as these conversations could be used against you in the future.
- Document the Scene: Use your smartphone or camera to take extensive photos of the accident scene, all vehicles involved, any visible injuries, and other relevant details. This visual evidence can be a cornerstone in building your case, offering proof of the circumstances surrounding the accident.
- Consult with a Lawyer: Contact a Kansas City car accident attorney from Dollar, Burns, Becker, & Hershewe to discuss your case and understand your options for pursuing compensation. We can offer advice on how to proceed, helping you taking the right steps to secure the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, L.C.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Kansas City, take the first step towards justice. Reach out to Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe for a free consultation and to discuss the nuances of your case. Give us a call at (816) 876-2600, or toll-free at (877) 816-2600. Your fight for justice is our fight too, and our car accident attorneys in Kansas City are here to lead the charge.