If you have been injured in a car accident in Missouri, getting compensation for your damages can be an uphill task. No matter how careful and attentive you are as a driver, accidents happen. Whether you are the driver or a passenger in a vehicle involved in a car accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your injury. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by another’s wrongdoing or negligence, you need an experienced Independence car accident attorney to fight for you.
- At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, we are committed to our clients and fight passionately to get the best outcome for every case.
- With over a century of experience and over a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements, we have successfully been the voice of victims.
- Our nationally recognized lawyers strategically pursue all avenues of liability to demand accountability and maximize compensation for you and your loved ones.
If you have been injured in a car accident, call Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe toll-free today at (877) 816-2600 to speak with one of our Independence personal injury attorneys. We offer free consultations.
What You Should Do After a Car Accident?
If you have been involved in a car accident, the actions you take immediately after the accident are very important. What you do and say will have an impact on your claim for compensation. If you are involved in a car accident, you are required to stop at the scene. You should not leave the scene of an accident until you are cleared to do so by a law enforcement officer. If you are not seriously hurt and taken to the hospital, you should do the following:
- Contact the police
- Exchange contact details, driver’s license and insurance details, and vehicle registration information with everyone involved in the accident
- Take photos of the scene of the accident
- Get contact information from any eyewitnesses at the scene
- Do not admit fault
- Visit a doctor even if you have no visible injuries
- Contact a car accident attorney in Independence
Can I Get Compensation if I Was Partly at Fault for the Accident?
Missouri is an at-fault insurance state. This means that the insurance of the party who was at fault for the accident covers the damages from the accident. The insurance companies will always try to avoid fault for the accident and limit how much money they pay out. This is why it is important to have an experienced car accident lawyer in Independence who understands the tactics the insurance companies use to avoid taking responsibility.
Missouri is a pure comparative negligence state. This means that even if you were 90% at fault for the accident that caused your injury, you are not barred from seeking compensation. In such a case, your damages would be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to you. For example, if your damages are $100,000 and you are found to be 90% at fault, your damages will be reduced by $90,000 and you will be entitled to $10,000. Do not let the insurance companies shift all the fault to you. Get an experienced Independence car accident lawyer who will fight for you and limit any fault attributable to you.
Get a Free Consultation with an Independence Car Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a car accident as a result of another person’s negligence or wrongdoing, Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe can help you. Call us toll-free today at (877) 816-2600 to speak with one of our experienced Independence car accident attorneys.