Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys and Fierce Advocates
Our team at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe has more than 30 years of experience being the voice of victims of abuse and neglect in nursing homes. Our partners have tried hundreds of cases involving horrific injuries and death due to physical and sexual abuse. For our firm it is about more than money. It is about being your voice for change. We have fought for and made changes to nursing home policies and procedures to ensure abuse does not happen again. Speak with one of our experienced Kansas City personal injury lawyers today or schedule a free consultation by calling (818) 876-2600.
One out of six U.S. Citizens over the age of 65 have been mistreated, exploited or injured by a caregiver. Even more concerning is that only 20 percent of elder or nursing home abuse cases are reported. No one wants to believe elder abuse is real. However, it occurs every day, throughout our country.
Why the elderly? They are likely struggling with different health issues and are adjusting to a new chapter in life that involves leaving their home. They are vulnerable, and this is exactly why they are being targeted, neglected and abused.
Common Causes of Nursing Home Abuse in Missouri
Several factors can contribute to nursing home abuse and neglect in Missouri, including:
- Staffing issues, such as inadequate staffing and lack of training
- Facility issues, like poor maintenance and lack of necessary resources
- Individual perpetrator issues, whether personal problems or criminal intent, individual perpetrators contribute to the sad reality of nursing home abuse
If you suspect that a loved one is being mistreated in a nursing home, it is crucial to seek legal advice from a skilled Kansas City nursing home abuse lawyer to understand the steps needed to address the issue and ensure the safety and rights of your loved one are upheld.
Recognizing the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse and neglect can manifest in various forms, each with its unique set of signs that family members and loved ones should be vigilant about. Being able to recognize these signs early can make a significant difference in ensuring the safety and well-being of the elderly.
Physical Abuse and Neglect
- Unexplained injuries such as bruises, cuts, or burns
- Signs of malnutrition or dehydration without a medical explanation
- Poor hygiene, soiled clothing, or bedsores
- Lack of medical aids like glasses, dentures, or medications
- Changes in mood or behavior, such as becoming withdrawn or fearful
- Depressive symptoms or loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed
- Unusual behavior such as rocking back and forth, biting, or sucking
- Bruising or bleeding in the genital area
- Unexplained sexually transmitted infections
- Torn or bloody clothing
- Unusual bank account activity or withdrawals
- Missing personal belongings or financial documents
- New credit cards, loans, or financial obligations
- Changes in legal documents such as wills or power of attorney without a logical explanation
- Persistent lack of medical care for existing conditions
- Unsanitary living conditions
- Failure to provide a resident with adequate food, water, or shelter
Being aware of these signs and taking prompt action with a nursing home abuse lawyer in Kansas City can help protect your loved one from further abuse or neglect.
Legal Recourse for Victims of Nursing Home Abuse in Missouri
The state of Missouri has provisions in place to protect the elderly and nursing home residents from abuse, neglect, and exploitation. It is crucial to understand the legal recourse available to victims and their families.
- Reporting Abuse or Neglect: The first step in addressing nursing home abuse or neglect is to report it to the appropriate authorities. This can include the local Adult Protective Services, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, or the police in severe cases. Documenting the abuse or neglect by taking photos of injuries, keeping a journal of incidents, and collecting medical records can be crucial evidence in your case.
- Consulting with an Attorney: It is advisable to consult with an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer in Kansas City who can guide you through the legal process. An attorney can help you understand your rights and the potential compensation you or your loved one may be entitled to.
- Filing a Lawsuit: Your Kansas City nursing home abuse attorney can help you file a lawsuit against the nursing home or the individuals responsible for the abuse or neglect. The lawsuit can seek compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Investigation and Discovery: A thorough investigation into the abuse or neglect will be conducted to gather evidence to support your claim. This may involve interviewing witnesses, reviewing nursing home policies and procedures, and consulting with medical experts.
- Negotiation and Settlement: Many nursing home abuse cases are settled out of court through negotiation between the parties involved. Your attorney will negotiate with the nursing home or their insurance company to reach a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Trial: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your case may go to trial where your attorney will present evidence and argue your case before a judge or jury.
- Appeal: In some cases, either party may choose to appeal the court’s decision. The appeals process can be lengthy and requires thorough legal expertise.
The process of seeking legal recourse in nursing home abuse or neglect cases can be long and emotionally draining. However, with the right legal representation, victims and their families can navigate the legal system to seek justice and hold the wrongdoers accountable.
Why Choose Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe for Your Kansas City Nursing Home Abuse Case?
The laws and regulations surrounding nursing home abuse can be complex. Therefore, the legal team at our law firm is dedicated to providing the support, guidance, and representation needed to pursue justice and compensation for the harm suffered.
Here is why choosing a Kansas City nursing home abuse lawyer from our law firm may be in your best interest:
- Proven Experience: Our law firm’s history spans over a century, focusing on nursing home abuse and neglect cases among others, bringing justice to the victims.
- Successful Track Record: With over a billion dollars recovered for our past clients, our notable verdicts and settlements are a testament to our capability and dedication.
- Client-Centric Representation: We are not just about winning cases; we are about effecting change and providing a voice for the victims.
Our award-winning legal team is recognized nationally for its excellence in litigation. Furthermore, our advocacy extends beyond the courtroom as we strive for better nursing home standards and regulations to prevent future occurrences of abuse and neglect.
Contact a Kansas City Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer at Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe
At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, we believe that every victim of nursing home abuse deserves justice, and we are here to help you achieve that. Our experienced attorneys are ready to discuss your case and guide you through the legal process toward obtaining the compensation you or your loved one deserves.
Ready to take the first step towards justice? Call us today toll-free at (877) 816-2600, or fill out our online contact form to schedule your free consultation. Your voice matters, and we are here to amplify it in the quest for justice.