Burn injuries are among the most devastating and life-altering accidents one can endure. The road to recovery is often long, painful, and expensive. At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, we stand as a beacon of hope for victims of burn injuries. With over a century of combined experience, our award-winning team is dedicated to being the voice for victims. Your first step towards justice and compensation after a devastating burn injury begins with a free, no-obligation consultation. Call our Kansas City personal injury lawyers today for a free consultation at (818) 876-2600.
Understanding Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are a complex and multifaceted type of personal injury. They can occur from a myriad of situations including accidents at work, home, or on the road, and the level of severity can range drastically from case to case. Below is a deeper look into the different degrees of burn injuries and the common causes:
Degrees of Burn Injuries:
- First-degree burns: These are the mildest forms of burns affecting only the outer layer of the skin (epidermis). They usually cause redness and some degree of pain but heal relatively quickly.
- Second-degree burns: These burns extend beyond the epidermis to the dermis (the second layer of skin). They can cause swelling, redness, and blisters. The healing period is longer, and there may be scarring.
- Third-degree burns: These are severe burns that destroy both the epidermis and dermis, often reaching the subcutaneous tissue. They require medical attention and may cause significant scarring.
- Fourth-Degree Burns: The most severe type, extending beyond the skin into the muscles, tendons, or even bones. They require extensive medical treatment and often result in lasting impairment.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries:
- Thermal Burns: Caused by contact with hot substances such as boiling water, steam, or open flames.
- Chemical Burns: Result from contact with harsh chemicals like acids or bases.
- Electrical Burns: Occur from exposure to electrical currents, often seen in workplace accidents.
- Radiation Burns: Caused by exposure to radiation, commonly from the sun, tanning beds, or radiation therapy.
Burn injuries can have long-lasting impacts on a person’s life, including physical disfigurement, emotional trauma, and financial strain from medical bills and lost wages. The road to recovery can be a long and arduous one, requiring multiple surgeries, physical therapy, and emotional counseling. It is crucial to understand the specifics of burn injuries as they pertain to legal recourse, as the compensation sought often correlates with the degree of the burn and the negligence of the involved parties.
Common Damages That May Be Recovered for a Burn Injury in Kansas City
Victims of burn injuries in Missouri may be entitled to a range of compensations. Common recoverable damages include:
- Medical expenses, for things such as surgeries, therapies, medications, and ongoing medical care
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity due to the injury
- Pain and suffering, encompassing both physical pain and emotional distress
- Property damage, if applicable
- Punitive damages in cases of egregious negligence
Every burn injury case is unique and requires a tailored legal strategy to ensure that you recover all the compensation necessary to cover both your current and future medical and rehabilitation needs. Only a Kansas City burn injury attorney who has experience handling burn accident cases successfully will know how to navigate the various complexities to fully maximize the compensation you recover for your damages.
Why Hire a Kansas City Burn Injury Lawyer from Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe?
Choosing the right burn injury attorney in Kansas City for your burn injury case is extremely important. At Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, our Kansas City burn injury lawyers will thoroughly investigate the circumstances leading to your injury to establish liability, coupled with an exhaustive exploration of all possible avenues for compensation. We will also collaborate with medical experts to bolster your claims, aiming for a resolution that covers all of your current and future needs.
With over $1 Billion recovered for our clients, our firm’s proven track record speaks volumes. Our national recognition as America’s Top 100, Super Lawyers, and U.S. News Best Law Firms is a testament to our relentless pursuit of justice for our clients.
Call Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe to Get Started with Your Kansas City Burn Injury Case
Your journey to justice begins with a free consultation, where we will provide you with a clear understanding of your legal standing. Contact Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe, L.C., now via phone at 816-876-2600, toll-free at 877-816-2600, or through our live chat for immediate assistance. Do not let the aftermath of a burn injury dictate your life; take the first step towards a better tomorrow today.