If you are mourning the loss of a loved one due to the negligence of another person, you may be overwhelmed with your grief and anger. The unexpected loss of a loved one can be a very traumatic event in a person’s life. While navigating your grief and trauma, you may also be dealing with the financial consequences of your loss. If you have lost a loved one due to another person’s negligence or misconduct, you may be able to get financial compensation for your loss. You should speak to an experienced wrongful death attorney in Overland Park to get more information about rights. For more information about how an Overland Park wrongful death attorney can help you contact Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe for a free consultation.
- We have been the voice of victims for over a century, resulting in over a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements.
- We are committed to our client’s cause and fight passionately to get the best outcome for every client.
- Our nationally recognized lawyers strategically pursue all avenues of liability to demand accountability and maximize compensation for you and your loved ones.
If you have lost a loved one because of another person’s negligence, call Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe toll-free today at (877) 816-2600 to speak with one of our Overland Park personal injury attorneys.
Who Can Make a Wrongful Death Claim in Missouri?
Unlike in some other states where a wrongful death claim must be prosecuted by the deceased’s personal representative, Missouri wrongful death law allows the following class of people to file a wrongful death claim:
- The spouse, child(ren), or parents of the deceased
- If the deceased left no spouse, child(ren), or parents, the siblings or nieces and nephews of the deceased can file a claim
- If the deceased left no spouse, children, parents, siblings, or other relatives, the court will appoint a plaintiff ad litem to prosecute the wrongful death claim for the benefit of the deceased’s beneficiaries
What Type of Damages Can I Claim in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Although the damages in every wrongful death claim will vary, damages in a typical wrongful death claim may include:
- Medical expenses if the deceased initially survived and received medical attention for the injury that caused their death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of comfort, guidance, support, and training
In a wrongful death claim, damages can be complex and difficult to value. Different factors go into the valuation of damages such as the age of the deceased, their occupation and income before death, and the number of beneficiaries the deceased left behind. An experienced wrongful death lawyer in Overland Park who understands the law will have the resources to adequately value your damages and fight for you and your family to get the compensation you deserve.
Contact an Overland Park Wrongful Death Attorney Today
If you have lost a loved one because of the wrongful or negligent actions of another person, Dollar, Burns, Becker & Hershewe can help you. Call us toll-free at (877) 816-2600 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Overland Park wrongful death lawyers.