It is important to act quickly in the face of potential abuse. Take these initial steps to prevent abuse and ensure that your loved one is treated with the care and attention they deserve.
- Call your state abuse & neglect hotline
- If you believe a crime has occurred, call 911.
- Have a presence in the nursing home: visit often, talk to your loved one.
- Document any evidence of abuse & neglect.
- Address concerns with nursing home administration.
- Contact any resources available in your state, including government agencies, hotlines and activist groups.
- Explore options to find your loved one a new care facility.
- Hire an experienced and trustworthy attorney to assist you with this process, and potential litigation.